Saturday, July 3, 2021

It's July

This is it. The last of your babies are due to be set out in the garden. That row should be all filled up now. How does that feel?

But now the other end of the spectrum has just begun. Now it's time to look for things to harvest. With luck, you should still be working on Spinach, that's probably about over. However you can start looking for Turnips and Kohlrabi.

My trusty preserving book says that turnips are not recommended for pressure canning. It says it's better to keep them is cold storage. However, it does give canning instructions. I'd probably have to go that route - I wish I had a root cellar.

Turnips:
Pressure Canning:
  • Wash and peel.
  • Cube or slice.
  • Cover with boiling water and boil for 3 minutes
  • Drain, reserving liquid.
  • Pack into jars and cover with the hot liquid, leaving 1 inch at the top.
Cook for 25 minutes at 10 pounds
Remember what I said about following canner directions.

Freezing:
  • Slice or cube
  • Blanch in boiling water for 2 1/2 minutes
Kohlrabi:
Freezing:
  • Slice or cube
  • Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes or in steam for 4 minutes
There were no canning instructions for kohlrabi. Now I really wish I had a root cellar.

See you next time. Are you having fun yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment