Saturday, March 20, 2021

The First Day of Spring

This is the first day of spring and time to start thinking about your garden. It's also time to start planting something. Hopefully, what you ordered last month has arrived, or if you were lucky enough to be able to go to a store, I hope you found everything you needed.

Now, the plan is to stagger planting in order to extend harvest and smooth out at least some of the workload. Just to give you a feel of this mountain, let me give you a few numbers. This way you can get your feeling of intimidation out of the way right now. Please stay through to the end. That's when you'll find out what we will actually be doing today.

Keep in mind, in my experience, one plant produces roughly one meal, as in one plate, or one serving. This is not a fast and true finding, but if you count like that, it will help you decide how much you need to plant. Since I'm thinking of sustaining from harvest to harvest, more or less, my numbers will be high. I also consider my space and will plant more to fill space. This way, if anything fails, or doesn't have a good turnout, I'm not shorted. That's the theory anyway.

I plan to plant:
64 broccoli
16 cabbage
80 cauliflower
80 brussle sprouts
16 head lettuce
40 bush zucchini
480 potatos
960 peas
192 rutabaga
1440 spinach
256 kohlrabi
360 beets
640 carrots
360 parsnips
360 salsify
720 bush green beans

Yeah, I know, but take my word for it, it looks worse than it is. Stay with me here.

Today is just the beginning. Today, we start light. Today we're going to start 16 broccoli and 4 cabbage. Yep, that's it. However, since we are using those nifty little six-packs, go ahead and fill three of them with the broccoli and one with the cabbage. That will allow for some to fail or be puny. Just remember, when it comes to planting, try to resist planting those extras, even if they've done well. Also, resist planting any more than one seed per cell.

Now remember, find a way to date them. This will be very important later. Some of those little white marker sticks would work but it's up to you - whatever works.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment